Sometimes it’s tempting to just be an armchair Christian, a Christian commentator, or a spectator, because when you’re “in the game” you’re going to have moments where you goof up, and it never feels good. I was doing something a little out of my comfort zone, trying to do the right thing for the Lord, […]
Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm… “Who is this? Even the wind and […]
One of them when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him- and he was a Samaritan.” Luke 17:15-17 NIV Jesus was traveling to Jerusalem when 10 lepers cried out to him in loud voices from a distance. They were […]
Our plane pulled to a stop on the middle of the tarmac. Where was the jetway? People were moving into the aisles so I grabbed my belongings and did the same. I followed them to the exit as if in a trance. Stepping out the door of the plane I took my first breath […]
I am reading about a scene in the garden of Gethsemane. The disciples are sad, confused, and feeling threatened. Nothing is going as they would choose. When the soldiers come to arrest Jesus they don’t know how to handle things, “Lord, shall we strike with our swords?” they ask. Peter doesn’t wait for Jesus to […]
“The godly people in the land are my true heroes!” Psalm 16:3 NLT I read this verse in the Psalms and I wonder, who do I esteem and why? Who are the godly people in my land and what are they doing that is heroic? I thought of my friends Mike and Sherry, missionaries, […]
Every Christmas I put out the manger scene that has been in my family for about 75 years. The old figurines are beautiful but most of them are showing wear, and you can easily see that many of them have been broken. Both the shepherd and the angel are missing their legs. Years ago my […]
It had been a rough couple of days. I was assaulted by thoughts, enemy thoughts that kept coming against me. I was battle weary. I felt confused and lost. And got down on my knees to pray. As I began confessing all my oppressive thoughts, I felt a strong command to my heart, “Remember the […]
Dear Lord, How beautiful that you would love my unvarnished heart!! I have worked very hard this week to polish my writing pieces for my website. Last night, when Jake told me the pieces were “very good,” but that my journal entries were “the best,” I was hurt. I worked so hard to be professional. […]
“Wounds from a friend can be trusted.” Proverbs 27:6 NIV When I was in college, a writing professor returned one of my papers with some remarks that were critical and upsetting. I was living with my parents at the time and couldn’t wait to show the paper to my father, certain he would join […]
Sign up to receive Dana’s posts
- Prelude and Chapter 1: The Dream and the Dreamer September 10, 2013
- Spurred on by a Hobbit September 30, 2013
- Perfectly Knit February 19, 2014
- The Most Beautiful Thing in the Room October 29, 2015
- The Best Thanksgiving Dinner November 25, 2013
- Hustling Mistakes June 14, 2018
- 3 Things to Do in a Storm May 14, 2018
- Returning Thanks November 21, 2017
- Ch. 4: “Zambia, The Real Africa” July 11, 2017
- A Lesson in Gethsemane April 14, 2017
- Gayle: Dana, I love seeing an unexpected post from you! ...
- Connie Bradshaw: Wow! You nailed this one, too. Good job. Keep 'em...
- Bettie Yahn: YES! I can identify with this, dear Dana, espec...
- Ashley: What wonderful words of encouragement! We do often...
- Jay Weston Brask: Very Well Spoken Princess. Jay...